Thursday, November 27, 2008

Debbie Zec wins 1st event in Junior Womens on the Costa Rica Surf Tour (CNS)

Debbie Zec wins 1st event in Junior Womens on the Costa Rica Surf Tour (CNS)

Debbie Zec has been competing on the Costa Rica CNS (Circuito Nacional de Surf) for the last three years and after many close 2nd and 3rd place finishes, finally has succeeded in winning her first event. With two contests left on the tour, the next one in her home town, Dominical, she talked about her accomplishment and what to expect from this rising surf star.

Q. So you just won your first Jr. Women's Division event on the Costa Rica National Surf Tour. How do you feel?

A. I'm very happy! I always wanned to beat my good friend Nataly and Its been really hard because she is a very good competitor but this time the luck was on my side...

Q. What were the waves like for the contest?

A. They were real nice, very good shape, good size... I just didn't like the sets to much they were too strong and they make you waste a lot of time paddling.

Q. Describe the final heat. When did you feel like you could win it?

A. Well it was flat for a while and then lots of sets, so it was hard to catch waves, but finally my first wave was a left and its was really nice and long and i try to do everything i could on that wave, since that moment i knew that maybe this was my lucky day hahahahaha!

Q. What is your goal for the rest of the surf tour?

A. Hmmmmmm I want to win the junior girls category because its my last year as a junior, and i want to stay inside the top 4 in women category.

Q. The next contest will be in Dominical, your home town. Will that give you an advantage?

A. Yes and No. Yes because I know the waves here. And No because most of the people in town are putting to much pression on me, and that get me really nervous on my heats, more than any other contest!

Q. When did you start surfing and who taught you?

A. I started like 4 years ago, I use to sneak out and try to learn by my self, but i have to say Jose montoya, ronny Obando and Pina helped me with tips and those kinds of thing.

Q. When did you start surfing in contests?

I think I started in the 2005-06 CNS

Q. Who are your favorite surfers in Costa Rica and on the ASP World Tour?

A. Nataly Bernold, Juancarlos Naranjo, Luis Vindas. Kelly Slater and Sofia Mulanovich.

Q. Anything else you'd to like to say?

A. First of all I have to thanks God for the privilege of surfing and letting me be able to participate in all of this events, Then I have to thank Greg Gordon from CRsurf.com, without his help I would never start competing, Also Green Iguana Surf Camp, broke'n'bored, BANZAII, Land Assurance, and of course my family.

No comments: